Overview and Purpose
The goal of the transitional doctorate is to help Master’s degree graduates to upgrade their degree to a doctorate without the need to enroll in the entire Doctor of Acupuncture & Chinese Medicine program. The transitional doctorate will focus more on integrative approaches and evidence-based research in Chinese medicine.
Prerequisite for Admissions
To be eligible for admissions, prospective students must meet the following conditions:
1. A Master’s degree in Oriental medicine or equivalent
2. A Master’s cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 or above on a 4.0 grading system.
An analysis of the prospective student’s transcripts will be made to determine if any gaps between the Master’s degree education and the doctorate exists. Prospective students may be recommended to take additional courses aside from the transitional curriculum.
Basic Science Requirement
Certain courses require that the student have completed undergraduate-level Biology or Chemistry as a prerequisite. Students are required to plan ahead and complete basic science courses at another accredited school prior to enrolling in the courses.
English language competency is required of all students seeking admission to the doctoral program. This must be demonstrated by one of the following means:
- The student must have completed a two-year (60 semester credits or 90 quarter credits) undergraduate- or graduate-level, English-based education in an institution: (i) accredited by an agency recognized by the U.S. Secretary of Education, or (ii) in the United Kingdom, Australia, Canada (except Quebec), New Zealand, or Ireland. In all cases, English must have been both the language of instruction and the language of the curriculum used;
- Test of English as a Foreign Language Internet-Based Test (TOEFL® iBT) – Acceptable score: TOEFL iBT total score – 80; or
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS) Academic Format – Acceptable score: IELTS overall band score – 6.5.
Official documentation verifying one of the above options must be received by American College of Acupuncture & Oriental Medicine directly from the issuing institution.
Applicants who do not have official documentation of one of the three options listed may submit a petition stating why they fulfill the English proficiency requirements along with any relevant supporting documentation.
The Admissions Committee may request additional supporting documentation or an interview as needed to consider the petition. If the petition is denied, the applicant will need to acquire one of the three listed options above to be re-considered for admissions.
Tuition & Financial Aid
$445 per didactic and clinic credit hour. Estimated tuition and fees for the entire program: $9,345
- Complete the application form
- Submit a digital photograph.
- Submit official transcripts* directly to ACAOM from all colleges previously attended.
- If any transcript is from an international institution and it cannot be determined that all academic requirements for admission have been satisfied, then a professional, “course-by-course” credit evaluation of the academic transcript is required. Any agency that is a member of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES) can be used, such as, wes.org, www.spantran.com, www.gceus.com, etc…
If you choose to use Spantran, click this link for a discount.
- Write a personal statement: a one-page, type-written essay discussing your passion and goal towards the program.
- Secure two recommendations from current or previous employers or other responsible individuals who have known you for more than 2 years.
- Provide a copy of valid personal identification (passport, driver‘s license, etc…).
- Enclose a non-refundable application fee of $100 payable to ACAOM by the application deadline.
- Interviews conducted by Admissions Committee (if necessary).
- If you plan to apply for Federal student loans (Graduate Stafford Unsubsidized and/or Graduate PLUS loans) you must submit your FAFSA to us through studentaid.gov/h/apply-for-aid/fafsa. Our school code is 031533. Your application will not be complete for admissions processing until the FAFSA report is received.